It sounds obvious, but for me, the most difficult part of graduating from college is figuring out what to do next.
I feel like I've spent much of the last year wandering aimlessly, trying to figure out what it is I want to do with my life.
Right now, I have two projects going on simultaneously:
Trying to start my own video production company, producing videos for commercials, TV networks and bands
Trying to start an iOS development house, creating iOS apps for local governments
"Trying to start."
That phrase pretty much sums up what I mean by "wandering aimlessly." I feel like I've done some of the work needed to get these businesses going, but I don't feel like I've settled on exactly what I want to do.
After contemplating what it is I want to do now that I'm done with college, I decided I need to start making both long and short-term goals to get me to where I want to be.
Therefore, I'm making a few of my short-term and long-term goals public so that I can be scrutinized by friends and family throughout this holiday season, as well as motivate me towards a future that I can call "successful":
SHORT TERM GOALS:
- Learn Objective-C to a point where I can make a simple camera application that sends pictures to a specific server
- Practice different Final Cut Studio tutorials to learn new tips and tricks
LONG TERM GOALS:
- Build a solid business plan that outlines what I want to do for the next 20 years
- Decide the camera workflow I want to use for the next 5 years and begin investing in it
- Pick a name for the businesses and establish an LLC for one (or both) of the companies
- Use this blog to post about things I care about, both professionally and personally
Lastly, my biggest goal for the next year is to have an answer to the question: "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"
(I apologize if it seems like I just rambled in that post. It's been a while since I've blogged.)